Reconnecting issues

This forum contains frequently asked questions for our services.

Reconnecting issues

Postby j-man » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Hello, I got my tunnel up and running but can't seem to find a working setting to make it know when it's down and then reconnect. The "--keepalive n m" setting does not seem to work since it always reconnects after the max interval I choose. Could the problem be that the server isn't set up to support this?

Seems like "--ping-restart n" use the same method to detect ping responses and simply keep restarting. Last week or so the tunnel has gone down once and seems to be stable now, but it's annoying that I have to reconnect it manually when it happens. Since I'm on dsl I expect to lose my connection at least once each month.

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc ... npage.html

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm running win2003 and the openvpn windows gui 1.0.3 + openvpn 2.0.9.
j-man

Re: Reconnecting issues

Postby markimus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:43 am

I too am having big problems with this. I have to use an SMS service to notify me when the connection goes down to go and play around with it to get it working again.

The configuration PRQ provides on the client side works great if you want openvpn to take over the entire connection on the box - however I imagine not everyone wants to do this. I have the redirect-gateway line commented and have put my own routes in place. I'm basically doing what's here: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-H ... links.html

When the VPN goes down it won't come back up with a simple /etc/init.d/openvpn restart. I have to restart my box and reload all routes (required as it is remote) - what a HASSLE.

I had a long email discussion with PRQ support and their response to this downtime is basically that we are paying for a cheap service so there are no uptime guarantees. :roll:

My suggestion is to PRQ is to do this directly on their ciscos with gre tunnels. This is a more robust solution and you aren't depending on the well known software-level shottyness of OpenVPN. I am doing this over at CB3ROB (cyberbunker) and it works much better for anyone interested.

Or.. perhaps PRQ could provide a more robust server/client configuration at minimum to help alleviate these issues and help with problems related to reconnection??!

Please step it up guys.. everything else is great about your services but this! :|
markimus

Return to FAQ and support